Sunday, June 28, 2009

Worms in the fridge and my new shoes


We've just tucked the kids in bed after their first real weekend in NC. Though we spent a good bit of time continuing the unpacking, we managed a little exploring. It was hot, so Saturday afternoon we headed out to a few highlights of the nearby Pisgah National Forest -- Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock. If the kids hadn't already heard about Sliding Rock, they would have thought the falls -- much bigger than anything we've seen on our California hikes -- were cool. But they had one thing in mind.

Sliding Rock. Just like the name, this is a natural 60-foot water slide down a big rock slab ending with a dunk in a refreshingly-cool (48 degree!) pool. For a $1 (Bella was free) you can slide as many times as you can handle, which in our case was just three before the icy water dampened our enthusiasm for the slide. It's a true hoot though. Everyone queues up in a long line that slowly crosses the river (your first feel of the water) and snakes up to the top of the slide. Along the way you can watch as others make their way down. There are all types of sliders. The barely controlled panicked ones. The cool dudes sliding down on their backs, arms folded behind their heads. The gray-haired granny, a crowd-favorite, eliciting cheers from all as she hit the water.

Today we checked out a local fishing hole. We rented a paddle boat for $5 and headed off. Though more time was spent untangling the lines than actually casting in, the kids had fun. We had fish for dinner, but the better part of candor requires me to admit it came from the market, not the lake.

Which brings me to the worms. At the lake they had a vending machine. Not for Snickers, this one. Live bait. Put your money in and out pops a little Styrofoam tub of worms. So where do the worms go when you finish fishing? I don't think I've ever had worms in my fridge before. Leftovers anyone?

And my new shoes. For my California friends - these are far from Manolas. I've worn them almost every day so far. They're perfect for tromping around the property and traipsing through rivers. And they'll be great when we put the kayak in the river. They even look pretty cute (at least before I spilled catsup on them).

Fear not my friends. I promise not to wear them in LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment