Saturday, June 20, 2009

Home Coming


After two years of scheming, eight months of planning, and some 2000 miles on Route 40, we finally arrived in Arden NC. We're "camping" in our rental house (moving truck is not here yet) and we've visited our new home site. Footers are dug, site is leveled and covered with gravel to keep it from becoming a muddy mess, and the ICFs are going up. It looks like we are crazy - building a house with styrofoam and plastic. But when complete - our flimsy house will be as solid as a bunker -- crazy-well-insulated, termite-proof, mold-proof, and quiet. We especially like the quiet. Since I never plan to move again (famous last words), I think it will make a great mausoleum. When I die, just seal up the windows and doors and let me rest in peace. I can join the ghosts on our site - we're allegedly building on or near a family cemetery site from years back. My builder imagines scary ghosts - I prefer Casper as my haunting reference.

The office is almost completely framed. It sits like a tree-house in the woods. No more conference calls interrupted by the mow and blow of the gardeners and the howling of the friendly neighborhood dogs.

Now that we're here, I realize how much of my energy has been consumed by the process of getting to this point. I haven't thought much about what we'll do now that we're here.

No comments:

Post a Comment