Friday, April 10, 2009

A friend in Asheville

I was so good about posting. But I've slipped up - already. I think the pattern is I post on days I run alone. That's when I give myself time to think about anything I want. But this week, I've enjoyed the company of a good friend and running partner. We've logged a lot of miles together - fast, slow, good, bad. Our schedules have changed, and we don't run together as much, but when we do - we fall right back in where we left off. This week, our schedules have fit back together, so I've been chatting through my runs. I'm going to miss my friend, and I'll miss our runs.

But my post tonight is about my first visitor to my blog. Check it out - a comment! Of course, I commented first - but still. She asked if we had any friends or family in Asheville. I realize I've spent most of my time thinking about how to help my kids make friends. But I'm going to need new friends too, and that may be harder. Baseball camp for mom? Probably not. Yet, I'm hopeful.

When we started telling people we were planning to move to Asheville, inevitably, the response was the same. Everyone - and I mean everyone - seemed to have a friend there. It became almost an inside joke for me. Dentist appointment? Best buddy from school moved to Asheville and started a new practice. Loves it. Hair cut? Stylist's got a friend (or uncle or something) who moved to Asheville years ago -- loves it. Mammogram? Even here - in the midst of chilly metal machinery - the technician has a friend who left South Pasadena a few years ago - is in Asheville - and loves it.

Except, of course, us. We know no one in Asheville. Other than our realtor (not for this post) and our builder (we really like him, but we're paying him. Not fair to call him a friend, yet) - no one. Unless you count my online "friends". And here's why I feel hopeful.

I do everything on line. If I can't find it, buy it or learn about it online - then in my opinion it might as well not exist. So besides choosing the town and finding our property, I've turned to google for everything. And people have responded with astonishing generosity. I've found preschool for my daughter (thanks willbo1!), soccer camps and Little League info for my sons, and, in response to a quick question about irrigating - an offer to organize people to help us unpack our truck and move in - courtesy of Tammy at the Asheville Gardener. I've got cellphone numbers and email addresses and welcomes from all directions.

So - here's to friends, old and new. Here's to everyone willing to extend a hand, give a phone number, commit an act of random kindness.

We're looking forward to meeting you.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how many people end up in Asheville. Some very good friends of our moved here from Virginia. When they got here, they found that two friends of theirs from high school live here, and then another friend from high school who they haven't seen in 5 years moved here. It's so odd. My husband's best friend from grade school moved here from Gainesville, FL before we moved here and before we knew he lived here. Asheville has some sort of pull on people, literally!

    ReplyDelete