Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Humbled

















photos: New bikes! The back patio (aka party pad). Meranti plywood panels, pre-stain.


At last.

After a week of swine (or pseudo-swine) flu, the kids were both in school for a one-day reprieve (a teacher workday sets us back again tomorrow). While not as lovely as last week, the weather held up enough for a chance to break in our long-awaited mountain bikes. My stellar (or at least good enough to win) performance in a trail race, on foot, had me feeling pretty sporty all weekend, so I was good to go.

Hah.

Humble.

Very very humble.

The bikes are great. Fully decked out with shocks front and back, hydraulic brakes, plenty of gears (which I am learning how to use but frequently forget right at the point when I need them most), and big fat tires with loads of tread. They really will roll right over the rocks if you let them. But, turns out just being willing to peddle hard and long is not enough to get up these rocky, rutted, rooty trails. You actually need some skill. And Kirk has more than me.

But I'm not quitting. You see, I've read all the trendy studies on how talent is developed, not born - so all I need is drive and practice. Something like 10,000 hours of practice, but who's counting? Some day I too will power up and down these trails like all the crazy fit old people out there. Want to know what's more humbling than being beaten on the trail by an 8-year old with pigtails? Try an 80-year old with attitude. They come tough around here.

So - that's us, at the end of our inaugural ride (look close - can you can see the mud splatters? They're there). And there's the house. The roof is on,the patio is poured, and the siding is going up. I'm very pleased with the patios. The front will be gravel, the back continues the polished cement from the house. Together, they form a central organizing theme - JD's interpretation of my request to design the house around a courtyard, blurring the distinction between inside and out. They extend the feel of the house - maximizing our square feet in so many ways. The front, facing south, will be a lovely spot to soak up sun and enjoy a cappuccino. The back, due north and leading into the yard, is more private, laid-back, a spot to chill, gather friends, and just hang.

But before you hang, you have to face the hills! Humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment