Monday, August 24, 2009

Bicycle Dreams


















To end our summer of fun in style, we spent some time checking out the Kids Bike Loop in Dupont (is that DOO-pont, Du-PONT, or Du-pont? I haven't adopted the local pronunciation yet) State Forest. For newbie mountain bikers -- it's a pretty cool spot. There are a couple trails that wind through the woods with plenty of natural hazards. Tree roots, hills, twists and turns, a few logs and branches to hop over. Some bike-loving volunteers have created more fun: ramps, jumps, logs to ride across, a teeter-totter, and some crazy angled boardwalk designed I believe by a dentist or ER doc in need of work. Dexter loves it. Bella says it is too hard. And I admit to more caution than necessary but blame the 15-year old New York City commuter hybrid bike I've pressed back into duty.

Inspired, the boys went out Sunday for a little trail clearing on our property. After a couple hours of work and play, they had a nice little trail underway. It makes use of the big pile of dirt in the backyard (ultimately destined as fill) then ducks into the woods. There's a good uphill section, some tight turns, a few ditches, good bumpy tree roots and a fun downhill. It took Dexter 6 or 7 tries to get around without stopping. I had to borrow his bike to try it out. By my 3rd try I got all but the little ditch. It doesn't look like anything until it swallows your rear tire...

Dex and I headed back to DuPont today to celebrate his final - and only "Bella-free"- day of summer. A little mother-son time courtesy of her first day of preschool. He thinks I need, NEED, a mountain bike. I'm officially hooked.

Doesn't it look like more fun than spinning class?

No comments:

Post a Comment